All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.49Trending at AU $31.88
- AU $55.54Trending at AU $56.93
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.75
- AU $29.92Trending at AU $31.38
- AU $46.03Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $12.67Trending at AU $12.99
- AU $41.46Trending at AU $49.43
About this product
- DescriptionWhen the mysterious foreign shipbuilder comes to town, even the wildest imaginations of the locals cant conjure up the consequences . . . The Legend of Peter Borka book tells the story of English-speaking travelers who develop peculiar tions about a Russian god based on their misunderstanding a spoken Russian word. They travel around the world, learning about new religions and cultures and elaborating their false Russian religion into a cultural monstrosity, as they accumulate a dizzying array of contradictory beliefs and elaborate rituals. Elements of major world religions, including Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism, as well as myth-based religions from Greece, Rome, Norway, and North America, appear in the beliefs and worship surrounding Peter Borka. A dialectical tension emerges between the fledgling Peter Borka religion and ideas from ethical humanism, rational humanism, and Communism. The book contains a surprising ending with a unique moral. The Legend of Peter Borka is a teaching story for youth and adults alike. As a fictional work, it concerns the origins (ontology) of religion and myth, the nature of logic and reason, and the difference between reality and fantasy. At the core is a fundamental question: How is information obtained? What is truly real? What really matters? The Legend of Peter Borka challenges the reader to think with new depth and breadth about the world and the humans who live in it. As a teaching piece, The Legend of Peter Borka contains rich academic themes pertaining to culture, history, religion, philosophy, psychology, and law. It also contains a geographic puzzle regarding the travel itinerary of the participants. It is appropriate for school-age children, as well as university-level classes and adults.
- Author BiographyAn award-winning science student as a youth and young adult, M. Schottenbauer, Ph.D., studied music, physics, mathematics, and liberal arts at the university before going on to earn a doctorate in psychology. Dr. Schottenbauer held a position as a Research Assistant Professor, and currently works as an independent educational consultant.
- Author(s)Michele Schottenbauer
- PublisherM. Schottenbauer, Ph D.
- Date of Publication11/03/2013
- SubjectScience Fiction & Fantasy
- Place of PublicationChevy Chase
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintM. Schottenbauer, Ph D.
- Content Note2 black & white illustrations
- Weight163 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine6 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.