All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.25
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.14
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.18
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.33
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.77
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.32
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.30
About this product
- DescriptionComprising approximately 730 square miles and more than half a million residents, the Lehigh Valley is the third largest metropolitan area in Pennsylvania, encompassing the cities of Allentown, Bethlehem, and Easton. Much is kwn about the industrial history of the valley (home to Bethlehem Steel, Mack trucks, and Crayola crayons), but few have discovered the valley's natural history: the endless Blue Mountain, the spectacular raptor migrations, the wetlands and watercourses. The Lehigh Valley explores the land and the natural forces and human history that have altered it. From boulder fields to water gaps, from sinkholes to limestone caves, the valley landscape has long had a powerful influence on the lives of its residents. These people have had a similarly powerful effect on the valley; the text features brief profiles of some of the people who have shaped the environmental history of the area. The authors also indude directions to historical and natural sites, and the book's illustrations help visitors and naturalists identify the region's abundance of flora and fauna. The Lahigh Valley is a unique combination of narrative natural history, identification handbook, and travel and hiking guide, Mountain Laurel, red-tailed hawks, dusky salamanders: The Lehigh Valley t only shows us what resides in this beautiful and bountiful valley but also explains why.
- Author BiographyRobert Halma is Professor Emeritus of Biology at Cedar Crest College. Carl S. Oplinger is Professor of Biology at Muhlenberg College. Together they co-authored The Poconos: An Illustrated Natural History Guide (Rutgers, 1988).
- Author(s)C.S. Oplinger,Robert Halma
- PublisherPennsylvania State University Press
- Date of Publication01/06/2001
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationPennsylvania
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPennsylvania State University Press
- Content Note5 illustrations, 69 diagrams, 8 maps
- Weight617 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine29 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.