All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBut it would be unfair to the reader to reveal what happens when a gang of professional crooks gets wind of the scheme and moves to muscle in on this bettors' dream of a long-odds situation. Worked out with all the meticulous detail, terror, and suspense of a nightmare, the tale is, on one level, comparable to a Graham Greene thriller; on ather, it explores a group of people, their relationships fears, and loves. For as Leslie A. Fiedler says in his introduction, John Hawkes. . makes terror rather than love the center of his work, kwing all the while, of course, that there can be terror without the hope for love and love's defeat ...
- Author BiographyJohn Hawkes (1925-1998) was a postmodern novelist born in Stamford, Connecticut, and educated at Harvard University. He was noted for his unconventional style and views on the creation of literature and was admired by Flannery O'Connor, Robert Penn Warren, Saul Bellow, Anthony Burgess, Jeffrey Eugenides, and Donald Barthelme.
- Author(s)John Hawkes
- PublisherNew Directions Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication01/02/1961
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew Directions Publishing Corporation
- Weight210 g
- Width132 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine12 mm
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.82Trending at AU $17.35
- AU $66.82Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $92.35Trending at AU $104.01
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $70.87
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.50
- AU $23.99Trending at AU $25.75
- AU $10.20Trending at AU $13.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.