All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $21.66
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.07
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.50
About this product
- DescriptionThe Civil War stressed the nation ecomically, politically, morally, and spiritually, as thing has before or since. It was an overwhelming cataclysm that would have wrecked a lesser nation. It ended with Robert E. Lee's surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox on April 9, 1865. Just as the weary citizens on both sides let their thoughts relax in contemplation of peacetime pursuits came one final blow. On April 15, a Marylander and outlandish white supremacist, assassinated President Abraham Lincoln. Horrified rtherners had vengeful thoughts. But vengeance would have to wait. The martyred president, contrary to the wishes of his devastated wife and family, would need an appropriate send-off, a funeral to rival that of an emperor. It would be the first American national funeral and possibly the most spectacular of all. In The Lincoln Funeral: An Illustrated History,artist and historian Michael Leavy presents this solemn, regal, and romantic event in contemporary photographs and drawings, some rarely reproduced. What emerges is a marvel of rapidly formed committees, highly polished trains, and clicking telegraph keys. Cities and towns frenzily tried to out-do each other. Trains and telegraphs drove the event, producing a near national hysteria that resulted in police having to disperse ermous crowds across the Northeast and Midwest. But this collection of illustrations demonstrates that the Lincoln Funeral was t wholly about pageantry. It was about dealing with intractable grief. People wanted somehow to keep Old Abe alive-the man that only a month ago as many despised as revered him. With his death the entire country understood how much he meant to the nation.
- Author BiographyMICHAEL LEAVY is a professional artist specializing in mural painting. A leading expert in railroad history, he is author of nine books on the subject, including Railroads of the Civil War: An Illustrated History, also available from Westholme Publishing.
- Author(s)Michael Leavy
- PublisherWestholme Publishing, U.S.
- Date of Publication30/06/2015
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationYardley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWestholme Publishing, U.S.
- Content Note100 B/W
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.