All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe late Edmond Jabes was a major voice in French poetry in the latter half of this century. An Egyptian Jew, he was haunted by the question of place and the loss of place in relation to writing. He focused on the space of the book, seeing it as the true space in which exile and the promised land meet in poetry and in question. Jabes's unique mode of expression has been variously described: a new and mysterious kind of literary work - as dazzling as it is difficult to define , cascading aphorisms , a theater of voices in a labyrinth of forms . The manner of his writing rigorously embodies the meaning of his writing. Jabes's book is a manifesto t only of his own poetry, but of the most advanced critical poetry written during this century, one in which he engages in dialogue with some of its outstanding philosophers (Blanchot, Levinas, and Derrida).
- Author BiographyThe late Edmond Jabes was a major voice in French poetry in the latter half of this century. An Egyptian Jew, he was haunted by the question of place and the loss of place in relation to writing, and he was one of the most significant thinkers of what one might call poetical alienation. He focused on the space of the book, seeing it as the true space in which exile and the promised land meet in poetry and in question. (This is summarized from the reader's description in A New History of French Literature, ed. Denis Hollier.) Very many of Jabes's books of prose and poetry have been translated into English, including The Book of Dialogue ( Wesleyan, 1987) and The Book of Margins (Chicago, 1993), both translated by Rosmarie Waldrop.
- Author(s)Edmond Jabes
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication01/07/1996
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleMeridian: Crossing Aesthetics
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight144 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Translated byRosmarie Waldro,Rosmarie Waldrop
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.25
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.14
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $168.19
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.33
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $105.74
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.77
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.