All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'If you hire me, ' I said, 'I'm the guy you hire. Me. Just as I am. If you think you're going to find any lay readers in this business, you're crazy. So you need help. What's your name and trouble?' Her name is Orfamay Quest and she's come all the way from Manhattan, Kansas, to find her missing brother Orrin. Or leastways that's what she tells PI Philip Marlowe, offering him a measly twenty bucks for the privilege. But Marlowe's feeling charitable - though it's t long before he wishes he wasn't so sweet. You see, Orrin's trail leads Marlowe to luscious movie starlets, uppity gangsters, suspicious cops and corpses with ice picks jammed in their necks. When trouble comes calling, sometimes it's best to pretend to be out . . . 'Philip Marlowe remains the quintessential urban private eye' Los Angeles Times
- Author Biography'One of the greatest crime writers, who set standards that others still try to attain.' Sunday Times Raymond Chandler was born in Chicago in 1888 and moved to England with his family when he was twelve. He attended Dulwich College, Alma Mater to some of the twentieth century's most renowned writers. Returning to America in 1912, he settled in California, worked in a number of jobs, and later married. It was during the Depression era that he seriously turned his hand to writing and his first published story appeared in the pulp magazine Black Mask in 1933, followed six years later by his first novel. The Big Sleep introduced the world to Philip Marlowe, the often imitated but never-bettered hard-boiled private investigator.
- Author(s)Raymond Chandler
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication28/10/2010
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2013
- ImprintPenguin Books Ltd
- Weight213 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Introduction byVal McDermid
Most relevant reviews
- henle6719 Jan, 2017by
For those who have yet to discover Raymond Chandler, you are surely missing out. He definitely stands along side Conan Doyle; a true master.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $20.42Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $11.95
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.01
- AU $56.57Trending at AU $60.36
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $15.93
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $23.74
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $22.87
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.