All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $94.99Trending at AU $106.80
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.51
- AU $104.90Trending at AU $118.13
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.21
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $107.51
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $106.06
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.61
About this product
- DescriptionMary R. Lefkowitz has extensively revised and rewritten her classic study to introduce a new generation of students to the lives of the Greek poets. Thoroughly updated with references to the most recent scholarship, this second edition includes new material and fresh analysis of the ancient biographies of Greece's most famous poets.With little or independent historical information to draw on, ancient writers searched for biographical data in the poets' own works and in comic poetry about them. Lefkowitz describes how biographical mythology was created and offers a sympathetic account of how individual biographers reconstructed the poets' lives. She argues that the life stories of Greek poets, even though primarily fictional, still merit close consideration, as they provide modern readers with insight into ancient tions about the creative process and the purpose of poetic composition.
- Author BiographyMary R. Lefkowitz is Mellon Professor in the Humanities, Emerita, at Wellesley College, Massachusetts, USA. She is the author of many books on classical culture, including Women in Greek My th, First-Person Fictions, Not Out of Africa, and Greek Gods, Human Li ves. She is co-editor of Women's Life in Greece and Rome and Black Athena Revisited.
- Author(s)Mary R. Lefkowitz
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication24/05/2012
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Weight358 g
- Width155 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edition Statement2nd
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.