All listings for this product
About this product
- Description**Shortlisted for the BSA Sociology of Health and Illness Book Prize 2010** What is good care? In this invative and compelling book, Annemarie Mol argues that good care has little to do with 'patient choice' and, therefore, creating more opportunities for patient choice will t improve health care. Although it is possible to treat people who seek professional help as customers or citizens, Mol argues that this undermines ways of thinking and acting crucial to health care. Illustrating the discussion with examples from diabetes clinics and diabetes self care, the book presents the 'logic of care' in a step by step contrast with the 'logic of choice'. She concludes that good care is t a matter of making well argued individual choices but is something that grows out of collaborative and continuing attempts to attune kwledge and techlogies to diseased bodies and complex lives. Mol does t criticise the practices she encountered in her field work as messy or ad hoc, but makes explicit what it is that motivates them: an intriguing combination of adaptability and perseverance. The Logic of Care: Health and the problem of patient choice is crucial reading for all those interested in the theory and practice of care, including sociologists, anthropologists and health care professionals. It will also speak to policymakers and become a valuable source of inspiration for patient activists.
- Author BiographyAnnemarie Mol is Socrates Professor of Political Philosophy at the University of Twente, the Netherlands.
- Author(s)Annemarie Mol
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication24/05/2008
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 black & white halftones
- Weight204 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.89
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.