All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
About this product
- DescriptionPeter Linebaugh's groundbreaking history has become an inescapable part of any understanding of the rise of capitalism. In eighteenth-century London the spectacle of a hanging was t simply a form of punishing transgressors. Rather is evidently served the more sinister purpose - for privileged ruling class - of forcing the poor population of London to accept the criminalization of customary rights and new forms of private property. Necessity drove the city's poor into inevitable conflict with the changing property laws such that all the working-class men and women of London had good reason to fear the example of Tyburn's triple tree. In this new edition Peter Linebaugh reinforces his original arguments with responses to his critics based on an impressive array of historical sources. As the trend of capital punishment intensifies with the spread of global capitalism, The London Hanged also gains in contemporary relevance.
- Author BiographyPeter Linebaugh, Assistant Professor of History at the University of Toledo, is the author (with Marcus Rediker) of The Many-Headed Hydra: The Hidden History of the Revolutionary Atlantic.
- Author(s)Peter Linebaugh
- PublisherVerso Books
- Date of Publication28/02/2006
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintVerso Books
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight762 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Edition Statement2nd
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $74.54Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.52Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.31Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $17.55Trending at AU $22.92
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.