All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe London Underground is a pioneer and an institution. The first underground railway in the world, and incorporating the first ever deep tunnel 'tube' lines too, it is at the heart of London life, with millions of commuters and tourists using it every year and its tentacles extending into the suburbs it helped to create. Its turbulent history reflects the trials and tribulations of London itself: it provided a network of life-saving shelters in the Blitz, but has also faced many logistical challenges, with constant improvements necessary to keep the Tube fit for purpose. This book is t a recompilation of facts and photos published elsewhere, however. Taking a fresh approach, it is a history that focuses on the interesting and quirky aspects of the subject. To transport you more vividly back to the past, well over half the illustrations are in colour, including many rarely seen photographs.
- Author BiographyAndrew Emmerson is a seasoned writer on technical and historical subjects. He also wrote 'Old Television', 'Old Telephones', and 'Discovering Subterranean London' for Shire.
- Author(s)Andrew Emmerson
- PublisherShire Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication10/04/2013
- SubjectTrains & Railways: General Interest
- Series TitleShire Library
- Series Part/Volume Number597
- Place of PublicationBuckinghamshire
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintShire Publications Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations (chiefly col.)
- Weight367 g
- Width149 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine8 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.41
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
- AU $36.89Trending at AU $46.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.