All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a brand new BBC Radio 4 full-cast dramatisation of a classic Raymond Chandler mystery featuring private eye, Philip Marlowe. Down-and-out drunk Terry Lenx has a problem: his millionaire wife is dead and he needs to get out of LA fast. So he turns to his only friend in the world: Philip Marlowe, Private Investigator. He's willing to help a man down on his luck, but later, Lenx commits suicide in Mexico and things start to turn nasty. Marlowe finds himself drawn into a sordid crowd of adulterers and alcoholics in LA's Idle Valley, where the rich are suffering one big suntanned hangover. Marlowe is sure Lenx didn't kill his wife, but how many more stiffs will turn up before he gets to the truth?
- Author BiographyRaymond Chandler was born in Chicago in 1888. He was educated at Dulwich College, London and studied international law in France and Germany. He published a number of poems and essays in local papers and worked as a reporter, essayist, and book reviewer. After serving for the Canadian Army during World War I he became a bookkeeper and auditor for Dabney Oil Syndicate. In 1939 he published The Big Sleep to instant acclaim in Britain and the US, introducing the world to his iconic private eye, Philip Marlowe. With Farewell My Lovely and The Long Goodbye, Chandler cemented his reputation as a giant of American popular culture and master of a style of detective fiction that would be widely admired and imitated. Chandler turned to screenwriting with Double Indemnity. He continued to write for Hollywood during the heyday of the Hollywood studio system, receiving an Oscar nomination for The Blue Dahlia. In 1946 Chandler received an Edgar Award from the Mystery Writers of America for screenplay and in 1954 for novel writing. During the last year of his life he was made President of the Mystery Writers of America. He died from pneumonia in 1959.
- Author(s)Raymond Chandler
- PublisherBBC Audio, A Division Of Random House
- Date of Publication13/10/2011
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBBC Physical Audio
- Weight91 g
- Width140 mm
- Height124 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Running Time87
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $21.37Trending at AU $27.60
- AU $41.18Trending at AU $46.79
- AU $35.57Trending at AU $38.84
- AU $12.61Trending at AU $12.91
- AU $20.05Trending at AU $27.78
- AU $17.59Trending at AU $20.24
- AU $10.60Trending at AU $16.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.