All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $28.49Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $30.26Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.66
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $40.06
- AU $11.31Trending at AU $14.84
About this product
- DescriptionThe Norfolk coast is beautiful and unique treasure in our sceptred isle. However, over the centuries several of its towns, villages and hamlets have been lost beneath the waves or have had to migrate inland as the acres of ground once before them were gradually eaten away by the indefatigable lap and crash of the waves. This book does t just retell the story of lost settlements but includes those that remain and have been changed irrevocably by the silting up of sea channels or have developed upon the sandbars created by longshore drift. The coast is t only sculpted by natural forces, it is defined by its inhabitants who have sought to embank, dredge and live from sea trade and fishing on it for centuries. Over the last 200 years resorts for health and holidays have developed. The coming of the railways and the improvement of the roads changed the Norfolk coast beyond the comprehension of our forebears in a matter of a few generations. In this latest volume by Neil R. Storey we encounter some of the personalities, folklore, events, disasters, heroes and villains that have become interwoven into the rich tapestry of Norfolk's coastal past. This stalgic and thought-provoking book explores places, ways of life, trades, local identity and communities that have been lost or are becoming increasingly endangered: a timely reminder of how much is still at risk of becoming part of the lost coast of Norfolk.
- Author BiographyNeil Storey is Norfolk's foremost local historian, and has written extensively for SPL. He appears regularly on local radio, and is well known throughout East Anglia. Neil lives in North Walsham.
- Author(s)Neil R. Storey
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication23/11/2006
- SubjectPeople & Places: General
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight350 g
- Width172 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.