Brand newLOWEST PRICE
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $15.00Free postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by tzatiki
- Est. delivery by 30 Oct
- AU $10.00+ AU $9.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by books5730
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
About this product
- DescriptionThe Lost Mother is a poignant, interweaving narrative about author Anne Summers' relationship with her mother, Eileen Hogan, told through her search for a lost painting of her mother as a child. In 1933, the artist Constance Parkin saw Summers' mother, a ten-year-old schoolgirl, at Mass one Sunday morning in Brighton. Evidently attracted by something about the young girl's features, Parkin asked if she might paint her portrait. Over the next few months, Parkin painted two portraits of Eileen: Alice, in which the schoolgirl holds a large Alice in Wonderland book; and A Saint, a religious painting in which the young girl is draped in fabric so as to appear like the Madonna. Alice was eventually purchased by Summers' grandmother from the Catholic Archdiocese in 1970. The whereabouts of A Saint remain unkwn. Summers' search for the painting is simultaneously an intriguing literary mystery and a touching attempt to bring closure and understanding to her turbulent relationship with her mother.
- Author BiographyAnne Summers is a bestselling author and columnist and a former editor-in-chief of landmark American feminist magazine, Ms. She was a political adviser to Prime Minister Paul Keating and ran the Office of the Status of Women for Prime Minister Bob Hawke from 1983 to 1986. Her books include Damned Whores and God's Police, Ducks on the Pond, On Luck, and The End of Equality.
- Author(s)Anne Summers
- PublisherMelbourne University Press
- Date of Publication01/07/2009
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationCarlton
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- First Published2009
- ImprintMelbourne University Press
- Out-of-print date25/01/2016
- Weight476 g
- Width134 mm
- Height205 mm
- Spine30 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.