All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.80
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $83.82
About this product
- DescriptionWere David and Jonathan 'gay' lovers? This very modern question lies behind the recent explosion of studies of the David and Jonathan narrative. Interpreters differ in their assessment of whether 1 and 2 Samuel offer a positive portrayal of a homosexual relationship. Beneath the conflict of interpretations lies an ambiguous biblical text which has drawn generations of readers - from the redactors of the Hebrew text and the early translators to modern biblical scholars - to the task of resolving its possible meanings. What has t yet been fully explored is the place of David and Jonathan in the evolution of modern, Western understandings of same-sex relationships, in particular how the story of their relationship was read alongside classical narratives, such as those of Achilles and Patroclus, or Orestes and Pylades. The Love of David and Jonathan explores this context in detail to argue that the story of David and Jonathan was part of the process by which the modern idea of homosexuality itself emerged.
- Author BiographyJames E. Harding is a lecturer in the Department of Theology and Religious Studies at the University of Otago.
- Author(s)James E. Harding
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication01/05/2012
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Series TitleBibleworld
- Place of PublicationSheffield
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEquinox Publishing Ltd
- Weight929 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine29 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.