All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionInfluenced by the German MP 40 and the British Sten, the .45-caliber M3 Grease Gun served as the primary US submachine gun for almost a half-century. Designed to replace the expensive Thompson SMG, the M3 was issued to airborne troops and others during World War II thanks to its compact design with sliding wire stock. An improved variant, the M3A1, was favored by armored crews right up to the beginning of the 1990s, seeing service in 1991's Operation Desert Storm. In Korea and Vietnam, reconnaissance troops and special-operations forces were at times armed with the M3A1 - also available in a suppressed version - and it was the first SMG issued to the US counterterrorist unit Delta Force. Featuring full-color artwork, first-hand accounts, and archive and close-up photographs, this is the engaging story of the M3 submachine gun.
- Author BiographyLeroy Thompson has trained and advised military and police special-operations units around the world, focusing especially on the tactical use of firearms. He has previously had more than 45 books published, and appeared as a weapons expert on documentaries for Discovery, National Geographic and the BBC. Adam Hook studied graphic design, and began his work as an illustrator in 1983. He specializes in detailed historical reconstructions, and has illustrated Osprey titles on subjects as diverse as the Aztecs, the Ancient Greeks, Roman battle tactics, several 19th-century American subjects, the modern Chinese Army, and a number of books in the Fortress series. Born in Malaya in 1949, Alan Gilliland studied photography/film and architecture, and has worked as a photojournalist and cartoonist. He also spent 18 years as the graphics editor of The Daily Telegraph, winning 19 awards, including numerous UK Press Awards. He now writes, illustrates and publishes fiction as well as illustrating for a variety of publishers.
- Author(s)Leroy Thompson
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication19/05/2016
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleWeapon
- Series Part/Volume Number46
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOsprey Publishing
- Content Note35 b/w; 29 col
- Weight261 g
- Width184 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Illustrator(s)Adam Hook,Alan Gilliland
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.53Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.77
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.