All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $49.77Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $97.42
About this product
- DescriptionThe Mahabharata is one of the greatest stories ever told. Though the basic plot is widely kwn, there is much more to the epic than the dispute between Kouravas and Pandavas that led to the battle in Kurukshetra. Indeed, there are innumerable sub-plots embedded in the Mahabharata's staggering 80,000 shlokas or couplets. This magnificent 10-volume unabridged translation is based on the Critical Edition compiled at the Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute. The fourth volume of the Mahabharata includes Virata Parva and almost all of Udyoga Parva. It describes the Pandavas' thirteenth year of exile which they spend in disguise in King Virata's court. The Kouravas and Trigartas invade Matsya to rob Virata of his cattle, but the Pandavas defeat them in battle. With the period of banishment over, the Pandavas ask to be returned their share of the kingdom. This is refused and Udyoga Parva recounts the build up to an inevitable war. The Mahabharata continues to captivate swathes of readers for the simple reason that it explores the full range of human emotions. With this lucid translation, Debroy succeeds in making the epic accessible to a contemporary audience.
- Author BiographyBibek Debroy is an economist and is Research Professor (Centre of Policy Research) and a columnist with Economic Times. He has worked in universities, research institutes, industry and for the government. Debroy has published books, papers and popular articles in economics, but also in Indology and has translated the Vedas, the Puranas, the Upanishads and the Gita. His book Sarama and her Children: The Dog in Indian Myth splices his interest in Hinduism with his love for dogs.
- Author(s)Bibek Debroy
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication18/11/2011
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Weight582 g
- Width148 mm
- Height219 mm
- Spine36 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.