All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIt is w 50 years since E.P. Thompson published his classic, The Making of the English Working Class. The Making of an African Working Class follows Thompson in exploring the formation of working class identity among low-paid African workers. In arguing for a radical public anthropology of worker identity, the book seeks to analyse the cultural, legal, ideological and experiential dimensions of labour activism often neglected in other labour studies. Pnina Werbner shows that by fusing cosmopolitan and local popular cultural forms of protest, unionists have created a distinctive, vernacular way of being a worker in Botswana: one that does t deny workers' roots at home or in the countryside, while being cognisant of a wider world of cosmopolitan labour rights. The assertion of working class dignity, hour and respect, Pnina argues, is a powerful motivating force for manual workers. Against legal-sceptical approaches, The Making of an African Working Class argues that in challenging the government - their employer - in court, manual workers' protests and mobilisation are deeply embedded in ethics, social justice and the law.
- Author BiographyPnina Werbner is Professor Emerita of Social Anthropology, Keele University, author of The Manchester Migration Trilogy - The Migration Process (1990/2002), Imagined Diasporas (2002), Pilgrims of Love (2003) - and editor of several theoretical collections on hybridity, cosmopolitanism, multiculturalism, migration and citizenship, including Anthropology and the New Cosmopolitanism and The Political Aesthetics of Global Revolt.
- Author(s)Pnina Werbner
- PublisherPluto Press
- Date of Publication10/07/2014
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Series TitleAnthropology, Culture and Society
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPluto Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight522 g
- Width150 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.69Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.