All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
About this product
- DescriptionWinter, 1643. Astrologer William Lilly is gazing at a pot of piss. Parliament has asked him to help: will leader John Pym live or die? Using an ancient technique called horary, Lilly predicts Pym will die in eight days' time. He is correct.In the pages of his best-selling pamphlets, Lilly enthralls the civil war-torn nation with his uncannily accurate forecasts of who will triumph in combat. Parliament's new prophet directly influences the course of war by advising the New Model Army when to fight, based on his judgement of Charles I's horoscope - the key battle of Naseby is won with this insight.Lauded as England's Merlin, Parliament sends him to the battlefield to boost morale with astral propaganda. At the same time, mercurial and wily Lilly provides stellar counsel to both the King and the rising radical sects too. His status as the nation's arch magus is sealed when he correctly foresees Charles' death.Now the most famous man in England's republic and the leader of a growing counter-culture group, Lilly's extraordinary influence is revealed when his warning words about a solar eclipse scare the country to a standstill. But t everyone is happy about his visions of the future and their effect on public order: ministers try to outlaw the star science and he is charged with sedition.Worse is to come in the Restoration world. In private, Charles II and the elite still seek Lilly's guidance, but in public the establishment moves to silence him and ban prophecy. In 1666, when his forecast of a great fire engulfing London comes true, he is suspected of starting the blaze. Can his astonishing gift help him best those in power, and save his profession and his life?
- Author BiographyDr Blackledge is an experienced public speaker and has lectured nationally and internationally to a variety of audiences including the Cheltenham science festival on the science of orgasm, the Glastonbury goddess conference and Shhh! - Women's Erotic Emporium. She has also starred in The Vagina Monologues, been profiled for a Canadian television documentary and collaborated with the theatre company Fullbeam Visual Theatre on a play rooted in her work.
- Author(s)Catherine Blackledge
- PublisherWatkins Media
- Date of Publication19/02/2015
- SubjectBiography: Religious & Spiritual
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2015
- ImprintWatkins Publishing
- Weight454 g
- Width135 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsSewn
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $97.42
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.