All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.96
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- DescriptionOn August 16, 1952, Ian Fleming wrote to his wife, Ann, My love, This is only a tiny letter to try out my new typewriter and to see if it will write golden words since it is made of gold. He had bought the golden typewriter as a present to himself for finishing his first vel, Casi Royale. It marked in glamorous style the arrival of James Bond, agent 007, and the start of a career that saw Fleming become one the world's most celebrated thriller-writers. And he did write golden words. Before his death in 1964 he produced fourteen best-selling Bond books, two works of n-fiction and the famous children's story Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang. Fleming's output was matched by an equally energetic flow of letters. He wrote constantly, to his wife, publisher, editors, fans, friends and critics--and to the wife of the man whose name Fleming appropriated for his hero--charting 007's progress with correspondence that ranged from badgering Jonathan Cape about his quota of free copies--a coin was tossed and Fleming lost--to apologizing for having mistaken a certain brand of perfume and for equipping Bond with the wrong kind of gun. His letters also reflect his friendship with such contemporaries as Raymond Chandler, Noel Coward and Somerset Maugham. This entertaining and engaging compilation traces the arc of Fleming's literary career and details the inner working of James Bond. Set against the backdrop of his Jamaican retreat Goldeneye, and a troubled marriage, Fleming's letters are filled with wit, humor and occasional self-doubt. They reveal an intimate portrait of a man, an era and a literary phemen.
- Author BiographyFergus Fleming is Ian Fleming's nephew, He is also the author of several other non-fiction books including Barrow's Boys, Killing Dragons and Ninety Degrees North.
- Author(s)Ian Fleming
- PublisherBloomsbury USA
- Date of Publication03/11/2015
- SubjectBiography: Literary
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBloomsbury USA
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight748 g
- Width163 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.