All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.39
About this product
- DescriptionWhy and under which conditions do companies voluntarily adopt high social and environmental standards? Christian Thauer looks inside the firm to illustrate the internal drivers of the social conduct of business. He argues that corporate social responsibility (CSR) assists decision-makers to resolve managerial dilemmas. Drawing on transaction cost ecomics, he asks why and which dilemmas bring CSR to the fore. In this context he describes a managerial dilemma as a situation where the execution of management's decisions transforms the mode of cooperation within the organization from a hierarchy to one in which managers become dependent on, and vulnerable to, the behavior of subordinates. Thauer provides empirical illustration of his theory by examining automotive and textile factories in South Africa and China. Thauer demonstrates that CSR is often driven by internal management problems rather than by the external pressures that corporations confront.
- Author BiographyChristian R. Thauer is Assistant Professor in International Relations at the Freie Universitat Berlin and Visiting Fellow at the Jackson School of International Studies at the University of Washington. He was awarded the International Studies Association International Political Economy (ISA-IPE) Best Dissertation Prize 2010-2011 for his award-winning thesis.
- Author(s)Christian R. Thauer
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication23/10/2014
- SubjectManagement & Business: General
- Series TitleBusiness and Public Policy
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note7 b/w illus. 26 tables
- Weight580 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.