All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $3.73Trending at AU $7.41
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.41
- AU $70.89Trending at AU $78.37
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $24.20
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.15
- AU $36.89Trending at AU $46.18
About this product
- DescriptionA LOOK BACK AT A REMARKABLE AND TRIUMPHANT AGE The 6th century was an era of personalities and uprisings. It was the time of Xephanes, Cyrus, Solon the lawmaker, Sappho, the Budda, Aeschylus, Pythagoras, Confucius, Lao-tzu and Nebuchadnezzar; it was the era of prose re-awakenings and the exploration of rational thought. George Woodcock's THE MARVELLOUS CENTURY brings the era and the personalities to life as he explores the literature, the philosophy, the politics, the sciences. He documents the writing of the Upanishads, pursues the thought of the Greek astromer and philosopher Thales, traces the emergence of atomic theories in India, the emergence of geography, geology and physics as disciplines, and monitors the ecomics of the central Asia silk trade. He reflects upon the great religions - Christianity, Islam, Zoroastrianism and Modern Judaism - all of whom had their roots in the sixth century, and discusses how, and why, so much that was vital to our civilization came into being during this era. THE MARVELLOUS CENTURY is a century of history in one volume, filled with characters, events, romance and intrigue. It is a fascinating journey that allows us to experience the beauty, savagery and all-encompassing impact of the 6th century B.C., a century characterized by a cluster of events that changed irrevocably the way humans looked upon the universe and even upon themselves.
- Author BiographyGeorge Woodcock is a poet, author, essayist and widely known as a literary journalist and historian - published more than 90 titles on history, biography, philosophy, poetry and literary criticism.
- Author(s)George Woodcock
- PublisherBlack Rose Books
- Date of Publication09/06/2005
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationMontreal
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintBlack Rose Books
- Weight458 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine12 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.