Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $88.03
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.10
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.44
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.00
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.75
- AU $40.19Trending at AU $43.08
About this product
- DescriptionThe stories of five mathematical journeys into new realms, pieced together from the writings of the explorers themselves. Some were guided by mere curiosity and the thrill of adventure, others by more practical motives. In each case the outcome was a vast expansion of the kwn mathematical world and the realisation that still greater vistas remain to be explored. The authors tell these stories by guiding readers through the very words of the mathematicians at the heart of these events, providing an insightinto the art of approaching mathematical problems. The five chapters are completely independent, with varying levels of mathematical sophistication, and will attract students, instructors, and the intellectually curious reader. By working through some of the original sources and supplementary exercises, which discuss and solve -- or attempt to solve -- a great problem, this book helps readers discover the roots of modern problems, ideas, and concepts, even whole subjects. Students will also see the obstacles that earlier thinkers had to clear in order to make their respective contributions to five central themes in the evolution of mathematics.
- Author(s)David Pengelley,Reinhard Laubenbacher
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication01/12/1998
- Series TitleUndergraduate Texts in Mathematics
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note1 black & white tables, biography
- Weight586 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.