All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.21
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.51
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.47
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $57.00
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.28
About this product
- DescriptionThe theories describing seemingly unrelated areas of physics have surprising analogies that have aroused the curiosity of scientists and motivated efforts to identify reasons for their existence. Comparative study of physical theories has revealed the presence of a common topological and geometric structure. The Mathematical Structure of Classical and Relativistic Physics is the first book to analyze this structure in depth, thereby exposing the relationship between (a) global physical variables and (b) space and time elements such as points, lines, surfaces, instants, and intervals. Combining this relationship with the inner and outer orientation of space and time allows one to construct a classification diagram for variables, equations, and other theoretical characteristics. The book is divided into three parts. The first introduces the framework for the above-mentioned classification, methodically developing a geometric and topological formulation applicable to all physical laws and properties; the second applies this formulation to a detailed study of particle dynamics, electromagnetism, deformable solids, fluid dynamics, heat conduction, and gravitation. The third part further analyses the general structure of the classification diagram for variables and equations of physical theories. Suitable for a diverse audience of physicists, engineers, and mathematicians, The Mathematical Structure of Classical and Relativistic Physics offers a valuable resource for studying the physical world. Written at a level accessible to graduate and advanced undergraduate students in mathematical physics, the book can be used as a research mograph across various areas of physics, engineering and mathematics, and as a supplemental text for a broad range of upper-level scientific coursework.
- Author BiographyEnzo Tonti is a professor at Universita di Trieste.
- Author(s)Enzo Tonti
- PublisherBirkhauser Boston Inc
- Date of Publication07/09/2013
- Series TitleModeling and Simulation in Science, Engineering and Technology
- Place of PublicationSecaucus
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBirkhauser Boston Inc
- Content Note164 colour illustrations, 175 black & white tables, biography
- Weight985 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine30 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.