All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionContinuing demand for this book confirms that it remains relevant over 30 years after its first publication. The fundamental explanations are largely unchanged, but in the new introduction to this second edition the authors are on hand to guide the reader through major advances of the last three decades. With an emphasis on physical explanation rather than equations, Part I clearly presents the background mechanics. The second part applies mechanical reasoning to the component parts of the circulation: blood, the heart, the systemic arteries, microcirculation, veins and the pulmonary circulation. Each section demonstrates how an understanding of basic mechanics enhances our understanding of the function of the circulation as a whole. This classic book is of value to students, researchers and practitioners in bioengineering, physiology and human and veterinary medicine, particularly those working in the cardiovascular field, and to engineers and physical scientists with multidisciplinary interests.
- Author BiographyC. G. Caro, a physiologist and medical doctor, is Emeritus Professor of Physiological Mechanics and Senior Research Investigator in the Department of Bioengineering at Imperial College London. T. J. Pedley is the recently retired G. I. Taylor Professor of Fluid Mechanics in the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics (DAMPT) at the University of Cambridge. R. C. Schroter is Emeritus Professor of Biological Mechanics and Senior Research Investigator in the Bioengineering Department at Imperial College London. W. A. Seed worked for many years as a Senior Lecturer in medicine and as a clinical academic physician, with clinical and research interests in cardiopulmonary medicine. He also took a lead role in the development of a medical undergraduate curriculum for the newly-created Imperial College School of Medicine, where he still maintains an honorary teaching role.
- Author(s)C. G. Caro,R. C. Schroter,T. J. Pedley,W. A. Seed
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication22/12/2011
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note285 b/w illus. 15 tables
- Weight1000 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.