Excerpt from The Medford Historical Register, 1914, Vol. 17 It will t be unprofitable to compare the numerical strength of the Catholics in the diocese at the time of the establishment of this parish with that at the present time. In 1856 the number of priests laboring in the diocese of Boston was Sixty-five, forty-eight in the territory w included in said diocese, and seventeen in what are w the dioceses of Springfield and Fall River. There are w over Six hundred priests laboring in this diocese, and four hundred and twenty-two in the dioceses of Spring field and Fall River, while the Catholic population of the archdiocese is nearly one million, and of the remainder of the State about five hundred thousand. The awful famine which prevailed in Ireland about 1840 drove many of the inhabitants, with their families, to seek a living across the seas. A goodly number settled in Boston, and a few drifted to Medford in the Ship-building industry. These stalwart pioneers had held tenaciously to the faith Of their fathers, and had been going to Boston to worship in the Moon street church, to Charlestown, to South Boston, and then to North Cambridge, where the Rev. Manasses Doherty officiated in St. Peter's Church. But in 1849 they felt that they were numerous eugh to call for the occasional visit of a priest to minister to them in Medford, so they Chose a committee, who waited upon the selectmen of the town, stated their Object, and asked that they be allowed the use of the Town Hall for the Celebration of the Mass. At first some Objection was made, but when the selectmen realized how much in earnest the petitioners were, they granted the request, only stipulating that the janitor's services should be paid for. Father Doherty of North Cambridge then came to Medford once a month to Offer up the Mass in the Town Hall, first hearing confessions in the old Wade house on High street (where Small's block w stands), in a room occupied by Mr. Daniel Vaughan. Soon after, in 1852, as children came, the need was felt of a Sunday School to teach the catechism, and an appeal was made to the school board. The appeal was heard, and the room set aside for tramps in the basement Of the High School building was appointed for the purpose. Here a class was organized by Father Doherty, the teachers being the men and women of the congregation. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art techlogy to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.