All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.19
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.99
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.45
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.54
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.48
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.72
About this product
- DescriptionRecent large-scale epidemiological studies have confirmed the pre-eminence of the Mediterranean diet for reducing the risk of primary and secondary heart disease and cancer. There is also increasingly convincing evidence for its protective value against diabetes, dementias and other age-related disorders, and for increasing overall longevity. The Mediterranean Diet: Health and Science is a timely, authoritative and accessible account of the Mediterranean diet for nutritionists and dieticians. It discusses the Mediterranean diet in the light of recent developments in nutritional biochemistry, disease mechanisms and epidemiological studies, and also provides advice on nutrition policies and interventions. The Mediterranean Diet: Health and Science opens with an overview of the Mediterranean diet, and this is followed by a survey of the latest epidemiological evidence for its health benefits. There is detailed nutritional information on olive oil, wine, fish, fruit and vegetables and other components of the Mediterranean diet, and this information is used to explain how the diet protects against a range of age-related diseases. The book emphasises the importance of understanding the Mediterranean diet in its totality by discussing the evidence for beneficial interactions between various components of the diet. There are also discussions of how agricultural practices, as well as food preparation and cooking techniques, influence the nutritional quality of the diet. The book concludes by discussing the social context in which the Mediterranean diet is eaten, and public health issues associated with adopting a Mediterranean diet, especially in the context of more rtherly countries. Written by nutritional biochemist Richard Hoffman and a past President of the French Nutrition Society, Mariette Gerber, who between them have many years experience in this area, this exciting and highly topical boook is an essential purchase for all nutritionists and dietitians worldwide. Libraries in all universities where nutrition, dietetics and food science and techlogy are studied and taught should have copies of this excellent book on their shelves.
- Author BiographyDr. Richard Hoffman, PhD, FRSA, is a Senior Lecturer in Biochemistry at the University of Hertfordshire, UK with over 15 years of experience of Teaching biomedical sciences, nutritional biochemistry and plant biochemistry to undergraduates and postgraduates. Dr. Mariette Gerber, MD, PhD, DSc, is a past President of the French Nutrition Society, and is currently an Expert at the National Food Council in France.
- Author(s)Mariette Gerber,Richard Hoffman
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication04/11/2011
- SubjectMedical Nursing & Ancillary Services
- Place of PublicationChicester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWiley-Blackwell (an imprint of John Wiley & Sons Ltd)
- Content NoteIllustrations, map.
- Weight908 g
- Width172 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine21 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.