All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLady Hyegyong's memoirs, which recount the chilling murder of her husband by his father, form one of the best kwn and most popular classics of Korean literature. From 1795 until 1805 Lady Hyegyong composed this masterpiece, depicting a court life Shakespearean in its pathos, drama, and grandeur. Presented in its social, cultural, and historical contexts, this first complete English translation opens a door into a world teeming with conflicting passions, political intrigue, and the daily preoccupations of a deeply intelligent and articulate woman. JaHyun Kim Haboush's accurate, fluid translation captures the intimate and expressive voice of this consummate storyteller. Reissued nearly twenty years after its initial publication with a new foreword by Dorothy Ko, The Memoirs of Lady Hyegyong is a unique exploration of Korean selfhood and an extraordinary example of autobiography in the premodern era.
- Author BiographyJaHyun Kim Haboush was Associate Professor of East Asian Languages and Cultures and History at the University of Illinois.
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication25/10/2013
- SubjectAutobiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content NotePrevious edition art. No new art.
- Weight472 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byJaHyun Kim Haboush
- Translated byJaHyun Kim Haboush
- Foreword byDorothy Ko
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.