All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen the ancients talked about -messiah-, what did they picture? Did that term refer to a stately figure who would rule, to a militant who would rescue, or to a variety of roles held by many? While Christians have traditionally equated the word -messiah- with Jesus, the discussion is far more complex. This volume contributes significantly to that discussion. Ten expert scholars here address questions surrounding the concept of -messiah- and clarify what it means to call Jesus -messiah.- The book comprises two main parts, first treating those writers who preceded or surrounded the New Testament (two essays on the Old Testament and two on extrabiblical literature) and then discussing the writers of the New Testament. Concluding the volume is a critical response by Craig Evans to both sections. This volume will be helpful to pastors and laypersons wanting to explore the nature and identity of the Messiah in the Old and New Testament in order to better understand Jesus as Messiah.
- Author BiographyStanley E Porter is President, Dean and Professor of New Testament at McMaster Divinity College, Ontario. He is the author of several books on the New Testament and the editor of more than 40 other volumes, including Reading the Gospels Today.
- PublisherWilliam B Eerdmans Publishing Co
- Date of Publication26/06/2007
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Series TitleMcMaster New Testament Studies
- Place of PublicationGrand Rapids
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWilliam B Eerdmans Publishing Co
- Weight395 g
- Width152 mm
- Height227 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byStanley E. Porter
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $35.30Trending at AU $38.10
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.98
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.38
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.99
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.48
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.92
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.