All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.31Trending at AU $32.13
- AU $75.03Trending at AU $77.01
- AU $12.55Trending at AU $13.05
- AU $46.02Trending at AU $53.13
- AU $41.46Trending at AU $49.82
- AU $28.97Trending at AU $31.76
- AU $12.15Trending at AU $14.05
About this product
- DescriptionThis title is longlisted for the William Hill Sports Book Award 2013. To spin or t to spin? - that is the metaphysical question. When a mortifying defeat to his teenage son rekindles his lifelong passion for table tennis, keen philosopher Guido Mina di Sospiro sets out to learn the game properly. Guido's love for spinning a feather-weight ball takes him from his local ping-pong club, populated by idiosyncratic players with extraordinary stories to tell, to training drills with a world-class coach. This seemingly harmless game also leads him into sticky situations in the CIA headquarters and the ganglands of Washington, D.C. Woven throughout his ping-pong epiphany are philosophical ruminations on Plato and Aristotle, metaphysicians and empiricists, Jung's dark shadow, Sun Tzu's war tactics, the I Ching, and much more. As Guido's journey takes him from Big Sur to a nail-biting showdown in China against a string of elite players, he finds ping-pong can teach us a surprising amount about life.
- Author BiographyGuido Mina di Sospiro has been fascinated by table tennis since childhood and regularly plays competitively. Raised in Milan in a multilingual home, he trained as a classical guitarist before leaving Italy after university to attend USC's School of Cinema Production. He then became a journalist and correspondent from Los Angeles on the movie and music industries for one German and two Italian magazines. He has written three books that have been published around the world and maintains a blog on the New York-based web-magazine Reality Sandwich and on the alternative views website Disinformation. Mina di Sospiro lives in the Washington D.C. area with his wife and their three sons.
- PrizesLong-listed for William Hill Sports Book of the Year 2013.
- Author(s)Guido Mina Di Sospiro
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication05/09/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintYellow Jersey Press
- Weight326 g
- Width139 mm
- Height206 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.