All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.24
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.23
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.52
- AU $28.11Trending at AU $30.42
- AU $36.81Trending at AU $38.00
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.46
- AU $14.43Trending at AU $22.84
About this product
- DescriptionThe intervention of the military in national politics and the everyday lives of citizens is a key question in civil-military relations. This book explains how concordance theory can provide a model for predicting such domestic intervention. Models dealing with the relationship between the military and society are usually based on Western nations with power and influence, and therefore may t be appropriate for the circumstances of n-Western countries. By contrast, concordance theory considers national contexts where the balance of military involvement in civilian life depends greatly on historical circumstances, institutional nuances, and cultural realities. Using five case studies - India, Pakistan, Israel, Argentina, and Post-Revolutionary America - this book challenges traditional views on the role of the military in society, and offers convincing examples for the continual application of concordance theory. It also explores the evolution of the theory from the field of military studies to one of 'corporate concordance'. This book will be of much interest to advanced students of Civil-Military Relations, military sociology, political science and US politics.
- Author BiographyRebecca L. Schiff is currently the Associate Director of Corporate and Foundation Relations at Harvard Law School. She is also an adjunct professor at the U.S. Naval War College in Newport, Rhode Island. She has a PhD in Political Science from the University of Chicago.
- Author(s)Rebecca L. Schiff
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication13/08/2008
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleCass Military Studies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight430 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.