All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTanja Lucic teaches at the University of Amsterdam and lives on the edge of the city's red light district. She and her pupils, fleeing the violent break-up of their homeland Yugoslavia, have found temporary refuge in the Department of Slavonic Languages. Desperate to make ends meet, many of the students find work at the 'Ministry', a fetish-wear factory in North Amsterdam. Meanwhile, Tanja and her student Igor form a dangerously close relationship that threatens to unleash all the tensions of life in exile. With her sharp and melancholy observations, Dubravka Ugresic illuminates with savage compassion our shared human homelessness.
- Author BiographyDubravka Ugresic has been compared favourably with writers such as Vladimir Nabokov, Milan Kundera, George Orwell and Virginia Woolf, and is the recipient of many literary prizes. She entered self-imposed exile when Croatia's late president, Franjo Tudjman, proclaimed Croatia to be 'paradise on earth' in the early 1990s. Other publications include Nobody's Home (1-84659-019-1).
- PrizesShortlisted for Independent Foreign Fiction Award 2007.
- Author(s)Dubravka Ugresic
- PublisherTelegram Books
- Date of Publication11/02/2008
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTelegram Books
- Width130 mm
- Height200 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Translated byMichael Heim
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $78.30
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $70.92
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.70
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.13
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $76.03
- AU $12.61Trending at AU $17.01
- AU $16.67Trending at AU $22.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.