All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMaine's rugged, picturesque Monhegan Island is home to weathered lobster fishermen and curious tourists...a genial if sleepy group. But when Spark Monahan-rakish prodigal son-returns unanunced to the dilapidated family home, his arrival launches a summer the likes of which this quiet town has never seen. During Spark's absence, his young son Hally has been cared for by what remains of the Monahan family: Spark's gentle brother Hugh and their shrewd, fork-tongued father Pastor Ragnar. Pastor Ragnar has led them with an iron will and a unique religious ideology, while Hugh has been busy mending the scars of a tumultuous family history. Spark's reentry into the family is rocky; even as adolescent Hally warms to his father's flair for mischief, he struggles to define himself against this new paternal figure. Testing the limits with one dangerous prank after ather, Hally suddenly stuns the entire island when he claims to have had a spiritual vision. Though Spark remains permanently dubious about the alleged apparition, Pastor Ragnar pounces on the chance to revive his flagging church. Hally is shoved into the spotlight and, in the frenzy that follows, each man in the family fights for independence, understanding, and ultimately forgiveness against the tide of a phemen reaching far beyond the slippery slopes of their remote island home. Their unforgettable saga is narrated by the character best suited to sniff out the family's uneasy secrets: Spark's charismatic, fiercely loyal dog, Ned. Never at a loss for a quip on the stormy affairs of the Monahan family, Ned tells their larger-than-life story with humor and love from his uniquely privileged perspective. An uproarious tale of an eccentric family of fathers and sons, The Miracle of Monhegan Island is ather delightful summer blockbuster from Elizabeth Kelly.
- Author BiographyElizabeth Kelly is the best-selling author of The Last Summer of the Camperdowns (finalist for the New England Society Book Award) and Apologize, Apologize!. She lives in Merrickville, Ontario, with her husband, five dogs, and three cats.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Kelly
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication10/05/2016
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLiveright Publishing Corporation
- Weight610 g
- Width168 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $14.24Trending at AU $14.43
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $13.80
- AU $72.58Trending at AU $75.11
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.13
- AU $14.94Trending at AU $19.85
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.23Trending at AU $24.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.