All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.35
About this product
- DescriptionSince 1941, Rudolf Bultmann's program of demythologizing has been the subject of constant debate, widely held to indicate Bultmann's departure from the dialectical theology he once shared with Karl Barth. In the 1950s, Barth referred to their relationship as that of a whale and an elephant: incapable of meaningful communication. This study proposes a contrary reading of demythologizing as the hermeneutical fulfillment of dialectical theology on the basis of a reinterpretation of Barth's theological project. The volume argues that dialectical theology is fundamentally governed by a missionary logic. Bultmann's hermeneutical theology extends this dialectical, missionary theology into the field of interpretation. Bultmann's program addresses a false relation between gospel and culture. Negatively, demythologizing is a program of deconstantinizing, opposing the objectifying conflation of kerygma and culture that he calls myth. Positively, demythologizing is a form of intercultural hermeneutics, composed of preunderstanding and self-understanding. Demythologizing is therefore a missionary hermeneutic of intercultural translation.
- Author BiographyDavid W. Congdon earned a PhD in theology at Princeton Theological Seminary and is associate editor at IVP Academic. He is coeditor of Karl Barth in Conversation (2014) and the author of the forthcoming books The God Who Saves: A Dogmatic Sketch and Bultmann: A Guide for the Perplexed.
- Author(s)David W. Congdon
- PublisherFortress Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/05/2015
- SubjectReligious Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFortress Press,U.S.
- Weight906 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine0 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.