All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.88
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $169.05
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
- AU $49.80Trending at AU $52.07
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.81
About this product
- Description<strong>Winner of the Middle East Studies Association 2013 Undergraduate Education Award</strong> Utilizing a mix of documents--including photographs, posters, diaries, diplomatic records, archival sources, and literary works--<em>The Modern Middle East and North Africa: A History in Documents</em> is structured around an underlying theme of unity in diversity. This theme helps to offset students' stereotypical image of the Middle East and North Africa as an undifferentiated, molithic, and unchanging part of the world inhabited mainly by terrorists and religious fanatics. Compiled and edited by two prominent historians, Julia Clancy-Smith and Charles Smith, the book's approach offers a compromise between conventional political and diplomatic histories and those focusing on social and cultural history. The authors demonstrate how the Middle East and North Africa have participated in and shaped the grand currents of global history during the past two centuries. Headtes, extended captions, sidebars, introductory essays, and a robust photo program (including a documentary picture essay devoted to women and gender) provide an essential context framing the documents.
- Author Biography<strong>Julia Clancy-Smith</strong> is Professor of History at the University of Arizona. She is the author of <em>Mediterraneans: North Africa and Europe in an Age of Migration</em> (2011), which won three book awards, and <em>Rebel and Saint: Muslim Notables, Populist Protest, Colonial Encounters (Algeria and</em><em>Tunisia,1800-1904)</em> (1994), which received three book awards. Clancy-Smith has also edited and co-edited a number of volumes and special journal issues. <strong>Charles Smith </strong>is Professor Emeritus in the School of Middle East and North African Studies at the University of Arizona. He is the author of <em>Palestine and the Arab-Israeli Conflict</em>, Eighth Edition (2012), and<em> Islam and the Search for Social Order in Modern Egypt</em> (1983). A former member of the Institute for Advanced Studies at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, he served as President of the American Research Center in Egypt, 1996-1999.
- Author(s)Charles Smith,Julia Clancy-Smith
- PublisherOxford University Press, USA
- Date of Publication12/08/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitlePages from History (Paperback)
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press, USA
- Weight816 g
- Width201 mm
- Height251 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.