All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLas Vegas the name evokes images of divorce and dice, gangsters and glitz. But beneath it all is a sordid history that is much more insidious and far-reaching than ever imagined. <i>The Money and the Power</i>is the most comprehensive look yet at Las Vegas and its breadth of influence.Based on five years of intensive research and interviewing, Sally Denton and Roger Morris reveal the city s historic network of links to Wall Street, international drug traffickers, and the CIA. In doing so, they expose the disturbing connections amongst politicians, businessmen, and the criminals that harness these illegal activities. Through this lucid and gripping indictment of Las Vegas, Morris and Denton uncover a national ethic of exploitation, violence, and greed, and provide a provocative reinterpretation of twentieth-century American history.Now this neon maelstrom of ruthlessness and greed stands to t as an aberrant sin city, but as a natural outgrowth of the corruption and worship of money that have come to permeate American life.
- Author BiographySally Denton, an award-winning investigative reporter in both print and television, has written for the <i>New York Times</i>, the <i>Washington Post</i>, and <i>American Heritage</i>.She is the author of <i>American Massacre: The Tragedy at Mountain Meadows, September 1857 </i>and<i>The Bluegrass Conspiracy: An Inside Story of Power, Greed, Drugs, and Murder</i>. She received Western Heritage Awards in 2002 and 2004, a Lannan Literary grant in 2000, and, for her body of work, the Nevada Silver Pen Award of 2003 for distinguished literary achievement. She lives in New Mexico with her husband, who is her coauthor, and her three children. Roger Morris served on the senior staff of the National Security Council under Presidents Johnson and Nixon, until he resigned over the invasion of Cambodia. He has won several national journalism prizes, including the Investigative Reporters and Editors Award for the finest investigative journalism in all media nationwide. He is the author of several books on history and politics, including <i>Richard Milhous Nixon: The Rise of an American Politician</i>, which was short listed for both a National Book Award and a National Book Critics Circle Award.
- Author(s)Sally Denton
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- Date of Publication15/03/2002
- SubjectHistory: World & General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintVintage Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight467 g
- Width132 mm
- Height206 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $39.56Trending at AU $42.72
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.