All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.25
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.14
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $168.19
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.33
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $105.74
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.77
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.30
About this product
- DescriptionW.S. Merwin is arguably the most influential American poet of the last half-century - an artist who has transfigured and reinvigorated the vision of poetry for our time. An essential voice in modern American literature, he was United States Poet Laureate in 2010-11. The Moon Before Morning is his first collection of new poems since The Shadow of Sirius (2009), which won him his second Pulitzer Prize. This new book written in his mid-80s finds him deeply immersed in reflection on the passage of time and the frailty and sustaining power of memory. Telegraphing between past and present, Merwin shows us the w still ferries of Weehawken Bergen Yonkers that first brought him home from the hospital as a baby, the early schoolhouse w destroyed, and the playground where his mother 'with an orphan's uncertainty / feeling that she was a stranger / wanting to do the correct thing' refused to leave his side. He shows us, too, the feel of the trade winds as they move in on a Saturday morning in Hawaii, the silhouette of a palm against a darkening sky, and the once young hands, w suddenly old, engaged in the familiar motion of picking flowers, offering us, in these moments, a powerful and moving vision of the eternal. Poetry Book Society Recommendation.
- Author BiographyW.S. Merwin was US Poet Laureate in 2010-11. He has received most of the principal prizes in American poetry, including the Pulitzer Prize (twice), the Bollingen Prize and the Tanning Prize, and a Lannan Lifetime Achievement Award. As well as being an internationally renowned poet, he is the author of many classic translations, including editions of Neruda, Dante, The Song of Roland, The Poem of the Cid, and (from Bloodaxe) Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. His latest titles from Bloodaxe are Selected Poems (2007), The Shadow of Sirius, which won him his second Pulitzer Prize in 2009 and was a Poetry Book Society Recommendation in the UK, and The Moon Before Morning (2014), also a Poetry Book Society Recommendation. Born in New Jersey City in 1927, he taught at several universities, and now lives on the Pacific island of Maui, where he tends to his writing and to his garden of rare and endangered palm trees.
- Author(s)W. S. Merwin
- PublisherBloodaxe Books Ltd
- Date of Publication24/04/2014
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationTyne and Wear
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloodaxe Books Ltd
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine9 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.