All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRecent trends in syntax and morphology have shown the great importance of doing research on variation in closely related languages. This book centers on the study of the morphology and syntax of the two major Romance Languages spoken in Latin America from this perspective. The works presented here either compare Brazilian Portuguese with European Portuguese or compare Latin American Spanish and Peninsular Spanish, or simply compare Portuguese and its varieties with Spanish and its varieties. The chapters advance on a great variety of theoretical questions related to coordination, clitics , hyper-raising, infinitives, null objects, null subjects, hyper-raising, passives, quantifiers, pseudo-clefts, questions and distributed morphology. Finally, this book provides new empirical findings and enriches the descriptions made about Portuguese and Spanish Spoken in the Americas by providing new generalizations, new data and new statistical evidence that help better understand the nature of such variation. The studies contained in this book show a vast array of new phemena in these young varieties, offering empirical and theoretical windows to language variation and change.
- Author BiographyMary A. Kato is Professor Emreritus of Linguistics at State University of Campinas. Francisco Ordonez is Associate Professor in the Linguistic Department at Stony Brook University.
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication24/12/2016
- SubjectLanguage Learning (other than ELT)
- Series TitleOxford Studies in Comparative Syntax
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight550 g
- Width157 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byFrancisco Ordonez,Mary A. Kato
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.29
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.85
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.71
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.26
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.52
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.