All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $44.73Trending at AU $47.26
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.32
About this product
- DescriptionWhether we ackwledge it or t, our mothers leave an indelible impression on the persons we become. Our ability to function emotionally in relationships - both personal and professional - is based on our mothers' deep influence. In a book full of insights and wisdom based on a career of helping others, acclaimed psychologist Stephan B. Poulter shows how the mother factor can work either for or against us. The key to allowing this important legacy to work for us, says Dr Poulter, depends on understanding our mother's pervasive influence on our life. He shows that the way we connect emotionally in adult relationships is based on the style of our mothers.Dr Poulter defines the five major styles of mothering as: The Perfectionist Mother - whose family must look perfect in every way; The Unpredictable Mother - whose ups and downs can create life-long anxiety and depression in her son or daughter; The Me First Mother - whose children come second or last; The Best Friend Mother - who's w in vogue but can wreak havoc; The Complete Mother - who provides guidance and shows compassion to her child.Although most mothers are a combination of the above, many fit more into one category than others. Even though as adults, we tend to dismiss our past as the past, we do so at risk to ourselves. Only by understanding how our mother's legacy affects us today can we transcend the mysterious anger, anxiety, depression, and shame that we feel, and achieve the kind of relationships we deserve. Dr Poulter demonstrates how the internalised rulebook we inherit from our mothers is a very powerful force. These unspoken rules govern work, relationships, emotions, separation, and independence. Unless we become aware of the rules that guide our behaviour, thoughts, and beliefs, we won't have the ability to make our own choices. This enlightening book will help readers connect with their past to correct self-defeating behaviours, reach their full emotional potentials, and live happier, more fulfilling lives.
- Author BiographyStephan B. Poulter, PhD (Los Angeles, CA), is the author of The Father Factor, The Mother Factor, Your Ex-Factor, and two other books. He has practiced as a clinical psychologist specializing in family relationships for more than twenty-five years. Dr. Poulter lectures widely and appears regularly on radio talk shows and news programs.
- Author(s)Stephan B. Poulter
- PublisherPrometheus Books
- Date of Publication01/03/2008
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationAmherst
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrometheus Books
- Out-of-print date03/03/2016
- Weight381 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.