All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
About this product
- DescriptionThe Mountain Chant is a nine-day Navajo healing ceremony, one of several major rites undertaken only in winter. Aside from curing disease, it brings rain and invokes the unseen powers for general benefit. Though perhaps practiced less often w than better-kwn ceremonies such as the Night Chant, it is by means forgotten. Fully faithful to the original published by Washington Matthews over a century ago, this edition contains the story of the wandering hero upon whose exploits the Mountain Chant is based, a description of each of the nine ceremonial days, and original song texts and translations.
- Author BiographyWashington Matthews (1843-1905), an army major and surgeon, was conversant in Navajo and was one of the earliest and best Anglo recorders of Navajo culture.
- Author(s)Washington Matthews
- PublisherUniversity of Utah Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication15/08/2006
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationSalt Lake City
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Utah Press,U.S.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight222 g
- Width154 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Foreword byPaul G Zolbrod
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.