All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWalking and trekking guidebook to Romania's Carpathian Mountains. one of the wildest parts of Eastern Europe. This is a complete guide to exploring the Carpathian mountains and Transylvania, including both remote and more popular areas, such as Poiana Brasov, with detailed descriptions of main bases and ranges, and over 30 massifs, including the Eastern Carpathians, the Maramures, the Apuseni and Mountains of Banat and the Monasteries of Bucovina. The routes range from short, half-day excursions to 7 day hikes. The guidebook has over 40 maps and colour photographs and packed with vital information on language, local sights and attractions, travel issues, skiing, mountain biking and walking. Isolated for a long time, Romania's Carpathians offer some of the finest walking in Europe. There are well waymarked paths, adequate maps and a good network of mountain huts. More than just beautiful landscapes, Europe's wildest mountains offer a chance to discover a European scene that has w disappeared further west. There is a remarkable wealth of wildlife, the region being one of the last European strongholds of the wolf and bear. The author, James Roberts was a leading authority on walking in Romania, and guided walking groups there for several years. Sadly, although quite young, he died while this book was in the final stages of preparation.
- Author BiographyJames Roberts finished work on his guide to Romania just before his untimely death in 2002. Since the revolution he had spent more than half of every year in Romania and had travelled throughout the country. An experienced solo backpacker here, as well as in the Himalaya, the Atlas and other areas, he worked as a leader of mountain-walking and wildlife groups. Married to Elena, a Romanian, James spoke the language and had an unrivalled knowledge of the country, having explored every massif solo on foot. With his detailed knowledge of the human and natural history of the country, he was an expert interpreter of the Romanian scene.
- Author(s)James Roberts
- PublisherCicerone Press
- Date of Publication13/04/2005
- SubjectWalking / Hiking & Activity Maps & Guides
- Place of PublicationCumbria
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCicerone Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight470 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.27
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $71.21Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.