All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.42
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
About this product
- DescriptionAs a leading movement in contemporary Turkey with a universal educational and inter-faith agenda, the Gulen movement aims to promote creative and positive relations between the West and the Muslim world and to articulate a critically constructive position on such issues as democracy, multi-culturalism, globalisation, and interfaith dialogue in the context of secular modernity. Many countries in the predominantly Muslim world are in a time of transition and of opening to democratic development of which the so-called Arab Spring has seen only the most recent and dramatic developments. Particularly against that background, there has been a developing interest in the Turkish model of transition from authoritarianism to democracy. The Muslim World and Politics in Transition includes chapters written by international scholars with expertise in relation to the contexts that it addresses. It discusses how the Gulen movement has positioned itself and has sought to contribute within societies - including the movement's home country of Turkey - in which Muslims are in the majority and Islam forms a major part of the cultural, religious and historical inheritance. The movement and initiatives inspired by the Turkish Muslim scholar Fethullah Gulen began in Turkey, but can w be found throughout the world, including in both Europe and in the 'Muslim world'. Bloomsbury has a companion volume edited by Paul Weller and Ihsan Yilmaz on European Muslims, Civility and Public Life: Perspectives on and From the Gulen Movement.
- Author BiographyGreg Barton is the Herb Feith Research Professor for the Study of Indonesia, Faculty of Arts, Monash University, Australia. Paul Weller is Professor of Inter-Religious Relations at the University of Derby and Visiting Fellow in the Oxford Centre for Christianity and Culture at Regent's Park College, University of Oxford, UK. Ihsan Yilmaz is Associate Professor of Political Science at Fatih University, Istanbul, Turkey.
- PublisherContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication18/12/2014
- SubjectReligious Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight411 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byGreg Barton,Ihsan Yilmaz,Paul Weller
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.