All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
About this product
- DescriptionStudents of education are aware of the story of public education, of legendary figures like Horace Mann riding from district to district trying to improve the American school by establishing a common school fund and developing teacher-training programs. Those who followed worked hard to broaden the mission and refine the institution. While advancing the distribution of textbooks, developing curriculum materials and employing testing tools, even as early as 1845, standardized testing was used to see if it all worked. Advocates used the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) of 1965 to make accessible to all an education of worth for social advancement. Yet today's No Child Left Behind Act, signed in 2002 is, ironically so, a reform driven t by the advocates, but by public education's most ardent detractors. NCLB appears to be an attempt to change the public education system fundamentally, from the perspective that it is broken, its mission in need of radical revision.
- Author BiographyTodd Alan Price, Ph.D., is an assistant professor, Educational Foundations and Inquiry, National-Louis University. He has published several articles on No Child Left Behind, and produced a documentary, No Child Left Behind Report: Public Education in the Crosshairs. Elizabeth A. Peterson, Ed.D, is an associate professor in the Department of Adult Education at National-Louis University. She currently teaches doctoral and masters students of adult education.
- PublisherUniversity Press of America
- Date of Publication16/10/2008
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of America
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight267 g
- Width154 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byElizabeth A. Peterson,Todd Alan Price
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.