All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAcross his relatively short and eccentric authorial career, Soren Kierkegaard develops a unique, and provocative, account of what it is to become, to be, and to lose a self, backed up by a rich phemelogy of self-experience. Yet Kierkegaard has been almost totally absent from the burgeoning analytic philosophical literature on self-constitution and personal identity. How, then, does Kierkegaard's work appear when viewed in light of current debates about self and identity-and what does Kierkegaard have to teach philosophers grappling with these problems today? The Naked Self explores Kierkegaard's understanding of selfhood by situating his work in relation to central problems in contemporary philosophy of personal identity: the role of memory in selfhood, the relationship between the tional and actual subjects of memory and anticipation, the phemelogy of diachronic self-experience, affective alienation from our past and future, psychological continuity, practical and narrative ap
- Author BiographyPatrick Stokes is Senior Lecturer in Philosophy at Deakin University and a Research Fellow in Philosophy at the University of Hertfordshire. He has previously held research fellowships in the UK, US, and Denmark. He is the author of Kierkegaard's Mirrors (Palgrave, 2010), co-editor with John Lippitt of Narrative, Identity, and the Kierkegaardian Self (Edinburgh University Press, 2015), co-editor with Adam Buben of Kierkegaard and Death (Indiana University Press, 2011), a regular contributor to publications including The Conversation and New Philosopher, and a media commentator on philosophical matters.
- Author(s)Patrick Stokes
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication01/10/2015
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Weight588 g
- Width172 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine22 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.