Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionFrom 1935 until 1975, just about every junkie busted for dope went to The Narcotic Farm. Equal parts federal prison, treatment centre, organic farm and research laboratory, the Farm was designed to rehabilitate addicts and help researchers discover a cure for drug addiction. Although it began as a bold and ambitious public works project, the Farm was shut down forty years after it opened amid scandal over its drug-testing program, which involved experiments where inmates were being used as human guinea pigs and rewarded with heroin and cocaine for their efforts. Published to coincide with a documentary to be aired on PBS, The Narcotic Farm includes rare and unpublished photographs, film stills, newspaper and magazine clippings, government documents, as well as interviews, writings, and anecdotes from the prisoners, doctors and guards to trace the Farm's ble rise and tumultuous fall, revealing the compelling story of what really happened inside the prison walls.
- Author BiographyNancy D. Campbell, associate professor at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, writes about drug policy, science and culture. She lives in New York, USA. JP Olsen is a filmmaker whose work has appeared on The Discovery Channel and many other stations. Luke Walden is a filmmaker and editor whose most recent documentary camera credit is 2006's To Be a Peacekeeper, a film about UN peacekeeping in war-torn countries. Olsen and Walden live in New York, USA.
- Author(s)J P. Olsen,Luke Walden,Nancy D. Campbell
- Date of Publication01/10/2008
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarry N. Abrams, Inc.
- Out-of-print date06/07/2016
- Content Note200 b&w images
- Weight980 g
- Width191 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.