All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $68.55Trending at AU $73.71
- AU $20.42Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $23.42Trending at AU $26.67
- AU $19.97Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.10
- AU $56.62Trending at AU $60.72
- AU $7.48Trending at AU $12.42
About this product
- DescriptionEdgar Allan Poe's only long fiction has provoked intense scholarly discussions about its meaning since its first publication. The vel relates the adventures of Pym after he stows away on a whaling ship, where he endures starvation, encounters with cannibals, a whirlpool, and finally a journey to an Antarctic sea. It draws on the conventions of travel writing and science fiction, and on Poe's own experiences at sea, but is ultimately in a category of its own. Appendices include virtually all of the contemporary sources of exploration and south polar navigation that Poe consulted and adapted to the narrative, together with reviews and tices of Pym and a sampling of responses to the vel from a wide array of authors, from Herman Melville to Jules Verne. Seven illustrations are also included.
- Author BiographyThe late Frederick S. Frank was Professor Emeritus of English at Allegheny College. He published widely on Gothic literature and was the editor of the Broadview Edition of Horace Walpole's The Castle of Otranto and The Mysterious Mother. Diane Long Hoeveler is Professor of English at Marquette University.
- Author(s)Edgar Allan Poe
- PublisherBroadview Press Ltd
- Date of Publication15/08/2010
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleBroadview Editions
- Place of PublicationPeterborough
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintBroadview Press Ltd
- Content Note19 illustrations
- Weight318 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byDiane Long Hoeveler,Frederick S. Frank
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.