CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $34.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.42
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
About this product
- DescriptionEllen is forty-six, divorced, and having luck with personal ads when her Chinese girlfriend comes up with a plan: she has a brother in China, Zhong-hua, who's lonely too. Maybe they'd like each other? Taking a leap of faith that most of us wouldn't dare, Ellen travels to China to meet him. Though they speak only a few words of each other's language, there's an unspoken connection between them and they decide to marry. What follows is a remarkably touching and humorous story of two people from completely different worlds trying to make a marriage work. Settling in at Ellen's ramshackle farmhouse in upstate New York, they quickly discover the cultural chasm that lies between them. Ellen and her teenage daughter decide to adopt a policy of njudgment as Zhong-hua lobbies to sell their refrigerator ( Just three people, need ), serves them giant sea slugs for dinner, and brusquely nudges Ellen aside without an excuse me ( Family need these kind of words ). Zhong-hua is t the type to offer his wife impromptu smiles or hugs, but in bed at night he holds her tightly like she's something long lost and precious that might t live until morning. The Natural Laws of Good Luck is an unusual and exquisitely written love story--one that will resonate with anyone who has ever contemplated with wonder the spaces that exist between us and those we care about.
- Author BiographyEllen Graf is a writer and sculptor. She has received the New York Foundation for the Arts Fellowship, a Ludwig Vogelstein Foundation Grant, and she holds an MFA in creative writing from Bennington College.
- Author(s)Ellen Graf
- PublisherShambhala Publications Inc
- Date of Publication01/03/2011
- SubjectMarriage, Family & Other Relationships
- Place of PublicationBoston
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTrumpeter Books
- Weight299 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.