All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.81Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.17Trending at AU $80.06
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
About this product
- DescriptionThe Nature of Selection is a straightforward, self-contained introduction to philosophical and biological problems in evolutionary theory. It presents a powerful analysis of the evolutionary concepts of natural selection, fitness, and adaptation and clarifies controversial issues concerning altruism, group selection, and the idea that organisms are survival machines built for the good of the genes that inhabit them. Sober's is the answering philosophical voice, the voice of a first-rate philosopher and a kwledgeable student of contemporary evolutionary theory. His book merits broad attention among both communities. It should also inspire others to continue the conversation. -Philip Kitcher, Nature Elliott Sober has made extraordinarily important contributions to our understanding of biological problems in evolutionary biology and causality. The Nature of Selection is a major contribution to understanding epistemological problems in evolutionary theory. I predict that it will have a long lasting place in the literature. -Richard C. Lewontin
- Author BiographyElliot Sober, recipient of the 1991 Imre Lakatos Prize, is Hans Reichenbach Professor of Philosophy at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. Among his books are Reconstructing the Past and Philosophy of Biology.
- Author(s)Elliott Sober
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication01/06/1993
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Notexvi, 384 p.
- Weight566 g
- Width153 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.