All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.85Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.43Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
About this product
- DescriptionUnderstanding brain structure and principles of operation is one of the major challengesofmodernscience.SincetheexperimentsbyGalvanionfrogmuscle contraction in 1792, it is kwn that electrical impulses lie at the core of the brain activity. The techlogy of neuro-electronic interfacing, besides its importance for neurophysiological research, has also clinical potential, so called neuropr- thetics. Sensory prostheses are intended to feed sensory data into patient's brain by means of neurostimulation. Cochlear prostheses  are one example of sensory prostheses that are already used in patients. Retinal prostheses are currently under research . Recent neurophysiological experiments [3, 4] show that brain signals recorded from motor cortex carry information regarding the movement of subject's limbs (Fig. 1.1). These signals can be further used to control ext- nal machines  that will replace missing limbs, opening the ?eld of motor prosthetics, devices that will restore lost limbs or limb control. Fig. 1.1. Robotic arm controlled by monkey motor cortex signals. MotorLab, U- versity of Pittsburgh. Prof Andy Schwartz, U. Pitt 2 1 Introduction Ather group of prostheses would provide treatment for brain diseases, such as prevention of epileptic seizure or the control of tremor associated with Parkinson disease . Brain implants for treatment of Epilepsy and Parkinson symptoms (Fig. 1.2) are already available commercially [6, 7]. Fig. 1.2. Implantable device for Epilepsy seizures treatment . Cyberonics, Inc.
- Author(s)Ran Ginosar,Yevgeny Perelman
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication01/08/2008
- SubjectComputing: Professional & Programming
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight810 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.