All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.33Trending at AU $49.44
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.29
- AU $70.18Trending at AU $77.15
- AU $73.74Trending at AU $76.54
- AU $35.50Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.56
- AU $17.67Trending at AU $23.05
About this product
- DescriptionHaim Omer builds on his previous work to present a model of authority for parents, teachers and community workers that is suitable for today's free and pluralistic societies. This new authority contrasts with traditional authority in that it emphasizes self-control and persistence over control of the child, a network of support over a strict hierarchy, taking mutual responsibility for escalations over holding the child solely responsible, patience over threats, n-violent resistance over physical force, and transparency over secrecy. In addition to a thorough discussion of the underlying theory, The New Authority presents a practical program for families, schools and communities. Dr Omer provides specific instructions to combat violence and risky behavior at home and in school, increase parent and teacher interest and support, and implement interventions that increase safety, improve atmosphere and generate community cohesiveness.
- Author BiographyHaim Omer is Professor of Psychology at Tel-Aviv University. He is the author of Critical Interventions in Psychotherapy, Constructing Therapeutic Narratives (with Nahi Alon), Parental Presence, Non-Violent Resistance: A New Approach for Violent and Self-Destructive Children, and The Psychology of Demonization (with Nahi Alon, with a foreword by the Dalai Lama). He has also published articles in Family Process, the Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, the Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, the American Journal of Psychiatry, Psychotherapy Research, the Journal of Family Therapy, the American Journal of Psychotherapy, the British Journal of Psychiatry, Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice, Familiendynamik and Psychotherapie in Dialog. Dr Omer's books have been translated into Dutch, Japanese, Hebrew, French, Portuguese and German. He routinely lectures in Europe on non-violent resistance and on the new authority.
- Author(s)Haim Omer
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication15/11/2010
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note1 table
- Weight400 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Translated byShoshana London Sappir,Michal Herbsman
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.