All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOffering a broad, up-to-date reference to the long history and cultural legacy of education in the American South, this timely volume of The New Encyclopedia of Southern Culture surveys educational developments, practices, institutions, and politics from the colonial era to the present. With over 130 articles, this book covers key topics in education, including academic freedom; the effects of urbanization on segregation, desegregation, and resegregation; African American and women's education; and illiteracy. These entries, as well as articles on prominent educators, such as Booker T. Washington and C. Vann Woodward, and major southern universities, colleges, and trade schools, provide an essential context for understanding the debates and battles that remain deeply imbedded in southern education. Framed by Clarence Mohr's historically rich introductory overview, the essays in this volume comprise a greatly expanded and thoroughly updated survey of the shifting southern education landscape and its development over the span of four centuries. |Offering a broad, up-to-date reference to the long history and cultural legacy of education in the American South, this timely volume of The New Encyclopedia of Southern Culture , with over 130 articles, surveys educational developments, practices, institutions, and politics from the colonial era to the present.
- Author BiographyClarence L. Mohr is professor in and chair of the history department at the University of South Alabama. Mohr's major publications include On the Threshold of Freedom, which won the Avery O. Craven Award from the Organization of American Historians, and Tulane: The Emergence of a Modern University, 1945-1980.
- PublisherThe University of North Carolina Press
- Date of Publication15/04/2011
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleThe New Encyclopedia of Southern Culture
- Place of PublicationChapel Hill
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of North Carolina Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white tables
- Weight572 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byCharles Reagan Wilson,Clarence L. Mohr
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $132.35Trending at AU $138.02
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.32
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $36.29
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.53
- AU $30.90Trending at AU $31.55
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.06
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $50.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.